Acceptable Use Policy
North Frontenac Telephone Corporation Ltd. Is committed to being a responsible corporate citizen. To assist us in protecting the usefulness and enjoyment of the internet for our members and for other users, we strongly advise that you read the following document outlining our policies on network abuse.
The North Frontenac Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) prohibits any activities that include, but are not limited to the Policies described below. The terms of this AUP may change at any time and without prior notice, you are responsible for informing yourself of any changes to this AUP by periodically consulting this page.
For the purpose of this document, "Internet host" means any computer or electronic device connected to the Internet and "you" means you and any user of your North Frontenac/Frontenac.net account.
General Acceptable Use Policies (the "Policies")
You are prohibited to use your North Frontenac/Frontenac.net account in conducting activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Transmitting unsolicited messages that, in the sole judgment of us, cause significant disruption or elicits complaints from other Internet users.
- Harassing users or groups in any way.
- Impersonating other users or any other Internet service provider in any way.
- Uploading or downloading, transmitting, posting, publishing, receiving, retrieving, storing or otherwise reproducing, distributing or providing access to information, software or other material which is (a) confidential or is protecting by copyright or other intellectual property rights, without prior authorization from the rights holder(s); (b) is defamatory, obscene, child pornography or hate literature; or (c) constitutes invasion of privacy, appropriation of personality, or unauthorized linking or framing.
- Transmitting, posting, receiving, retrieving, storing or other reproducing, distributing or providing access to any program or information designed to assist in the fraudulent use of telecommunications services.
- Using an Internet host's resources in a manner not authorized by its administrators. This includes mail relaying. Transmitting chain letters, make-money-fast or pyramid schemes of any sort.
- Posting or transmitting any information or software which contains a virus, "cancelbot", "Trojan horse", "worm" or other harmful or disruptive component.
In addition to these policies, while sending electronic mail, you are prohibited from conducting activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Transmitting identical or substantially similar unsolicited email messages.
- Promoting or facilitating the transmission of unsolicited email messages.
- Attaching an excessively long signature to your messages.
- Forging the headers of your email message in any way.
- Sending messages to disrupt or cause difficulties in receiving other mail.
We at North Frontenac Telephone/Frontenac.net, have a Zero Tolerance for unsolicited email messages (spam). Actions contrary to the terms of the North Frontenac/Frontenac.net AUP will result in the suspension and/or termination of your Frontenac.net account and may result in further penalties. The frontenac.net account owner is responsible for any and all action that originates from his/her Frontenac.net account.
Customers who maintain bulk "opt-in" email lists must have a method of confirmation of subscriptions and be able to provide that information as evidence when requested by us. At our discretion, if no such evidence is available, messages could be considered unsolicited.
We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to set an upper limit on the number of recipients of customer initiated email, the number of subscribers on a customer's bulk "opt-in" email list, and the number of messages a customer may send or receive through the service.
In addition to these Policies, while posting to newsgroups or any other discussion forum, you are prohibited from conducting activities the include, but are not limited to:
- Posting advertisements, commercial or unsolicited messages of any kind, unless expressly permitted by the charter or FAQ.
- Posting binary or excessively large files of any kind, unless expressly permitted by the charter or FAQ.
- Posting substantially identical messages to more than 10 newsgroups.
- Attaching an excessively long signature to your messages.
- Forging the headers of your posting in any way.
Newsgroup and forum postings must comply with the associated charter or FAQ. If a posted message does not fall within the topic or ideals of the discussion identified by the charter or FAQ, at our discretion, it could represent an infraction of the North Frontenac/Frontenac.net AUP. Users posting messages to newsgroups or forums are responsible for making themselves aware of the rules of conduct, prior to posting.
Internet Relay Chat (IRC) / Chat
In addition to these Policies, while using IRC or any other chat service, you are prohibited from conducting activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Sending messages that include advertisements or commercial content of any kind in an unsolicited matter.
- Attempting a Denial of Service attack either automated via a "bot" or manually conducted.
Additionally, while using an IRC Server or Internet Chat Service, you must be in full compliance with the rules and regulations set out by the service administrator.
In addition to these Policies, while using your North Frontenac/Frontenac.net account, you are prohibited from conducting activities that include, but are not limited to:
- Sharing of your Frontenac.net user account Login and Password for any purpose, including, without limitation, for concurrent login sessions from the same Frontenac.net user account.
- Causing an Internet host to become unable to effectively service requests from other hosts.
- Running and/or hosting Server Applications including but not limited to HTTP, FTP, POP, SMTP, Proxy/SOCKS, NNTP).
- Analyzing or penetrating an Internet host's security mechanisms.
- Forging any part of the TCP/IP packet headers in any way.
You are solely responsible for the security of your system and account. While connected to the Frontenac.net service, you are prohibited from any act, committed intentionally or through negligence, which may compromise security or your Internet host in any way.
Customers found responsible for violation of this AUP may, at our sole discretion, be grounds for the suspension/termination of their Frontenac.net account and/or for the application of additional service charges. Also, violation of the AUP may result in criminal and civil liability. We will offer full co-operation with law enforcement agencies if their investigation warrants it.
In the event that numerous complaints are received by our staff in regards to any breaches of this AUP, at our discretion, a processing fee per complaint received in addition to an administration fee may be applied to your account.
We assume no liability to any of our members or other Internet users for failure to enforce the terms of this AUP. As well, we reserve the right to suspend/terminate your Frontenac.net account at any time without prior notice.
NFTC prohibits Excessive Internet Usage. NFTC defines Excessive Usage as internet usage that limits or impedes other Customers from using the internet as well as one that generates internet activity or traffic volumes that may create a burden on the network which would result in limitations on other Customers’ ability to use the network. Excessive usage of the NFTC internet service constitutes a violation of the NFTC Acceptable Use Policy.